Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Great Summer Read

I just finished "How To Be a Single Girl-A Novel" by Liz Tuccillo. No, this is not a how-to, but while I was reading it people sure did ask why I was reading the book thinking I was reading a self-help book. The book peaked my interest because the author, Tuccillo, is a former writer of Sex and the City as well as the co-author of the book I loved in college, "He's Just Not That Into You." This is Tuccillo's debut novel.

I absolutely loved it and truly could not put it down. The premise of the book begins in New York City with the main character and her single girlfriends...but wait...it actually is different than Sex and the City! Out one night, the character realizes that she and her friends, while in pursuit for love, have completely lost their true identity and their minds (they end up hospitalized)! After the awful epiphany, the character has, she gets an amazing opportunity to travel the world and study single girls for an upcoming novel (oh yeah...she is a writer just like Carrie in SITC). She begins her journey in Paris (can you see the irony-Paris...romantic city). During her journey she witnesses and experiences love, hate, sadness, and female empowerment. You also are updated with stories from the single girlfriends back home in New York and how crazy their lives get with cheating, divorce, depression, dating, and cold feet. I highly recommend this book. Very real, interesting, and even thought-provoking. Most importantly it was fun!

My next read is "The Beach House" by one of my fave authors, Jane Green. I would love suggestions on other good books to check out.

Happy Reading!

No comments: